Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sound of my piano

I don't know why but when I watch my own current videos it sounds as if I am slamming on the keys of the piano. I swear I am not (as bad as it looks) and the reason it sounds like it (I think) is because the entire room is either wood or concrete (walls) and the 'bright' sound that the Yamaha is famous of just bounces off every crevasse in the room!

I'm quite sure about this because I have recorded a video in the past when I still had carpet floor, and the carpet seemed to insulate and absorb all the unwanted echo from the piano.

This is how my piano sounded about 2 years ago when there was carpet playing Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley:



This was back in 2007, that I have made a piano version of it myself (I learned it myself by ear listening to the guitar version). You might recognize this tune because it was played in "the OC" when the main girl died or something.

Notice how warm the sound of the piano is compared to the other videos. This is quite frustrating to me! The sound of the piece is extremely important to me and if I cannot execute it properly on camera then I don't know why I am doing so at all.

Here is another example with the carpet floor with my Noctourne in C- (also back in 2007)



There is a harsh audio-video lag on this.. This was after I had completed my Grade 10RCM. If only I did my ARCT right afterwards, then I would have almost finished by now.. It's never too late though I guess.