Monday, March 9, 2009

Classical tastes

A good friend of mine introduced me to a couple pieces that definitely caught my attention. They were written by a man named Yann Tiersen. At first, I was deeply evoked by the magnificent simplicity that the melodies seemed to produce. I was swept away and therefore found myself learning some of his music - which lead me to loving a whole new musical era of story telling.

Anyways, I was thinking of this to myself and I knew that this type of music would attract the general public, yet not nessesarily the die-hard piano player. This music did not have the structure of classical music that many people are used to - it was different yet still sounded pleasant.

I talk about this because when I think about the general public and classical music, the two do not seem to mix as formulated as we should. Many people would admit that they do not enjoy classical music and are therefore bored of it. I came to the interest to conclude that different types of piano music attract different people. For performance, at my high school for example, people really did enjoy a compilation I put together of a medly of about 10 pieces consisting of popular and well known classical pieces.

I also think that the general public are more interested with music with a profound melody line - such as pieces that are from the romantic or classical era (most especially Beethovan and Chopin - or late romanticism Debussy). If you were to shove a 20th century piece at them (Bartok ew lol) or a Bach Prelude and Fugue - I think they would be bored and utterly underestimate the beauty and complexity that only pianists would understand.

I think good pieces to recommend (to play) to the general public are romantic or classical pieces - from grades 5-10. ARCT may have some good songs too but are heavily complex and extremely long at most times... the general public usually label these pieces as "boring" or "too long". Which is fine, I am not critisizing their judgement as it is just as easy for me to apply those words on somebody else's ARCT performance as well, judgeing that I do not enjoy the piece.

Also, nocturnes are beautiful - Chopin ones in particular. Nocturne is the defined as night music, imagine an evening symphony or concert. Totally meant to be dark yet vibrant as the evening sets in.

This one has been labled the "Father of all Nocturnes"