Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I finally have an ARCT repertoire put together!

List A Partita 2 - Bach
List B Sonata Pathetique - Beethovan
List C Nocturne in Db+ - Chopin
List D La Cathedrale Engloutie- Debussy
List E Sonatine - Bartok
Concert Etude in G- (No.2) -Moskowski

I think you'd all wonder why Pathetique is there. Originally considered a Grade 10 piece, it has now (amazingly) been shifted to an ARCT level, and all you have to do is play all 3 parts to it. It is one of my favourite pieces, which is why I am thrilled to be learning it to perfection.

I love the Partita, it is much more "showy" then Bach's other pieces tend to be, so it's nice to do that after playing Prelude and Fugue in D+ a while back (even though Preludes and Fugues are technically amazing and the basis of what all piano music is all about to this day). Nocturne in Db+ is a beautiful piece - I've seen videos of Lang Lang and Maksim Mrvica play it, and I hope to one day execute it as well as they do. The Sonatine by Bartok is one piece that I'm not very sure of. I searched it up and listened to it and didn't really understand it. I know it is a 20th century piece, but this one just sounded very odd...and not something I would like to perform -- which is why I consider switching to another piece.. perhaps. The Etude in G- is very fast and ferocious, which was always something that is a lot of fun to play.

Hopefully I can pull my life together and be able to spend a fair amount of time practicing. My piano teacher really emphasized that I was not obligated to obtain my ARCT due to a hectic university schedule, but I will pretend that I am in order to pick myself out of my era of "major time-wasting" and hopefully obtain the ARCT like I said I would.

It is a must, not a choice.